Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Andre Alexis and His Wonderful, Terrific, Marvellous, Brilliant and Thoroughly Engaging Reviews For the Globe and Mail

“In other words, a book section isn’t only about letting people know that such-and-such a work has been published. It’s a place where consideration happens — and the nature of a consideration is important, whatever book or idea sets it in motion. Consideration, for me, isn’t so much a matter of determining the ultimate value of a work, but rather of allowing a community to participate in the evaluation of the work.”
– Andre Alexis, writing in the July/August 2010 issue of The Walrus


“And one is as grateful, in the end, for Vassanji's company as for his wonderful book.”
- Review of Place Within by M. G. Vassanji, 8 November 2008 The Globe and Mail

“It's wonderful.”
- Review of Kant! by Moses Harry Horwitz, 1 April 2009, The Globe and Mail

“Moreover, Fantagraphics has done a wonderful job.”
- Review of Krazy and Ignatz by George Herriman, 1 September 2007, The Globe and Mail

“Though Home is slower than Gilead and not all of its characterizations worked for me, it is still a terrific novel.”
- Review of Home by Marilynne Robinson, 27 September 2008 The Globe and Mail

“I want to add, after saying so many contradictory things myself, that I found the book thoroughly engaging, from one end to the other.”
- Review of Hitch-22 by Christopher Hitchens, 5 June 2010 The Globe and Mail

“In the end, I want to say that this is both a brilliant book and one that is flawed.”
- Review of Glenn Gould by Mark Kingwell, 19 December 2009 The Globe and Mail

“In the end, I feel I'm in the odd position of saying negative things about a book I enjoyed. The thing is, of course, that my love for Ishiguro's previous work, his novels, has (along with my quibbles about his story writing) dampened my feelings for Nocturnes. So, if a friend were to ask me how I liked the book, I'd answer: It's good, but have you read Never Let Me Go? Now that's a great book.”
- Review of Nocturnes by Kazuo Ishiguro, 23 May 2009, The Globe and Mail

“Finally, there's the third section: Affinities. It's simply marvellous.”
- Review of Kant! by Moses Harry Horwitz, 1 April 2009, The Globe and Mail

“In any case, I can't recommend these volumes highly enough.”
- Review of Krazy and Ignatz by George Herriman, 1 September 2007, The Globe and Mail

“It's a good read.”
- Review of The Aeneid as translated by Robert Fagles, 23 December 2006 The Globe and Mail

“The Kindly Ones has been a tremendous success in France, but it has also generated heated and very interesting debate both in France and elsewhere in Europe. I think the novel is good, but the debate is crucial.”
- Review of The Kindly Ones by Jonathan Littell, 7 March 2009, The Globe and Mail

“(The first four chapters deal directly with his early life and they are terrific.) He can be very, very amusing. (This is, here and there, one of the funniest books I've read in some time.)”
- Review of Hitch-22 by Christopher Hitchens, 5 June 2010 The Globe and Mail

“There is much in Kant! to amuse, instruct and entertain. So much so that it feels churlish to complain about anything. However, though the book is handsome, it is quite pricey for so short a text, only 125 pages.”
- Review of Kant! by Moses Harry Horwitz, 1 April 2009, The Globe and Mail