Thursday, September 05, 2013

Content Strategy in 50 Words or Less


I'm hoping to serialize my novel (sorta) via Little Printer next year. Here's a more detailed explanation:

Storytelling is a hot topic in the marketing world, but platforms like Twitter and Vine make it challenging to convey a consistent or compelling narrative. Content strategists are being asked to publish big brand stories using fewer and fewer words. Is concision the tool of the devil? Or just another constraint that can be overcome with sufficient creativity? To find out, I’ve devised an experiment that will explore the limits of concision-based content strategy. I’m creating a serialized, thermal printer appropriate version of my novel that will launch in February 2014. But I’m not simply printing out my novel 50 words at a time. Instead, I want to create short bursts of fiction that will highlight the potential of Berg's Little Printer. (See also: the 420-character short stories of Lou Beach.) In the process, I'm sure to uncover multiple insights about content strategy, creative technology and creative writing.

If you hate words, you can watch me say the same thing instead: